Archive Dive: Lincoln Park

One of Duluth’s oldest public greenspaces, Lincoln Park was established in 1889 as the western anchor in the city’s plan to connect corridor parks created along streams and rivers with a carriage path along what was once the beach of ancient glacial Lake Duluth. (The eastern anchor was Garfield Park, known since the 1890s as Chester Park—both parks were named for slain presidents.) Lincoln Park proved extremely popular, particularly during its first fifty years, and today the entire neighborhood that surrounds it has been renamed for the park. Read a history of Lincoln Park here.

A lithographic postcard of the Lincoln Park Pavilion made between 1901 and 1915—though the photograph may have been taken in the 1890s. (Image: Zenith City Press)

Leave a Comment