1329 East Superior Street | Architect: Traphagen & Fitzpatrick | Built: 1893 | Lost: 1932
The Peyton name has been noteworthy in Duluth banking since since Hamilton Peyton moved to Duluth in 1873 and later established the American Exchange Bank, one of Duluth’s early commercial banks. Born in New York in 1835, Peyton moved to Superior, Wisconsin, in 1858. He opened a private bank and operated a sawmill until moving across the bay to Duluth in 1873. Peyton was the first president of the American Exchange Bank—shown in the sketch and on page 108—and remained involved with the bank until he died in 1928. A year later his bank merged with First National Bank.
The Peytons had their Shingle-style house built in 1893 for $16,000. Its second and third-story walls were covered with shingles while the first floor had a brownstone entrance and porte-cochere with a long, sloping roof over the entrance. It also featured striking porches, balconies, and gingerbread trim. Chester Creek ran between the Peyton House and the Hartley House. After Peyton died the house stood empty — Martha Peyton had passed ten years earlier. The house was demolished in 1932 and a Seventh Day Adventist Church was built on the site. The church is now the home of Chester Creek Books and Antiques.