On this day in 1870, the Duluth City Council voted to take on a $50,000 bond to dig a ship canal. The bond was essentially an agreement with the Lake Superior & Mississippi Railroad and the Banking House of Jay Cooke to loan the city $50,000 to hire a dredging tug to chew through Minnesota Point at what was then known as Portage Street, a path the Ojibwe and French traders had called Onigomiinsing or “Little Portage.” The canal was to be 150 feet wide and 16 feet deep and protected by piers on each side stretching 18 feet into the lake. The city issued one hundred $500 bonds bearing 7 percent interest, due September 1, 1890. The ordinance also mentioned a bridge, which was never built—the residents of Middleton (today’s Park Point) had to construct their own temporary bridge that was only in use in deep winter, when the shipping lanes were closed. The money was spent to hire the dredging tug Ishpeming, which first went to work on September 5, 1870. Read the story behind the canal dig here, and the legends of the canal dig here.