Posts by Maryanne C. Norton

St. Peter’s Episcopal

2801 W. First Street | Architect Unknown | b. 1903 Duluth’s West End had a large Swedish population during the1890s and the early years of the twentieth century as immigrants from Sweden came for jobs with railroads, sawmills, flour mills and metal manufacturing plants. The West End was conveniently located for those occupations. By 1898…

Read More

Turner Hall

601 East Third Street | Oliver Traphagen | b. 1888 | Lost: 1890 601 East Third Street | William Hunt | b. 1891 | Lost: ca. 1965 In Germany in 1811, a group of men founded a society that encouraged physical exercise, especially gymnastics, which they believed would instill a sense of patriotism, citizenship and…

Read More

St. Louis County Courthouse (1883)

611 East Second Street | Architect: George Wirth | b. 1883 | Lost: ca. 1915 As you may have read, these past weeks Maryanne Norton and I have been digging up history on today’s Shel/Don Building, whose upper level was leased as the Duluth Municipal Court for 20 years beginning in 1909. Looking into the…

Read More

West Duluth Village Hall

531 Central Avenue  | Oliver Traphagen | b. 1888 | Lost: 2014 With the exception of the Oneota Township (first settled in the 1850s), most of what would become today’s West Duluth was described as “a barren wasteland” as late as 1887. In the spring of 1888 the West Duluth Land Company, led by Charles…

Read More

Merrill House

2626 Branch Street (2625 Greysolon Road) | Architect: Unknown | Built: ca. 1900 | Lost: 1938 In our book Lost Duluth, the most recently constructed building featured is Roy and Edythe Halvorson’s remarkable Modernist home designed by Harold St. Clair Starin, which stood at 2628 Branch Street from 1939 until 1994. Since the book’s publication,…

Read More

Duluth’s Historic Tea Rooms

Duluth had many tea rooms beginning in the early part of the twentieth century. They were a popular fad throughout the country, many of them housed in major department stores, and the scene of many society lunches, bridge parties, and other events and were particularly popular among “society women.” They were nearly all operated by…

Read More

A. G. & Clara Thomson

Adam Gentles Thomson was born in Duluth on July 22, 1888. He attended Duluth public schools before heading east to boarding school at the Hill School in Pottstown, Pennsylvania. In 1911 he was graduated from the Sheffield Scientific School at Yale University. Newspaper articles indicate he may have attended Macalester College in St. Paul at…

Read More

Alexander D. Thomson

Alexander D. Thomson was born in Scotland in 1856. He first came to the United States with his family, including a brother named A. G. Thomson, in September, 1860. The Thomsons arrived in Boston and eventually settled in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. Not much is known of Thomson before he arrived in Duluth. An article that…

Read More

Thomas Storey

For much of its life, Duluth’s Storey Taxidermist along East Sixth Street was operated by Thomas J. Storey, one of two sons of Dr. Thomas Henry Storey who followed their father into the family trade. The elder Storey was himself a taxidermist but became better known as an early practitioner of chiropractic medicine who is…

Read More