Our Ghost Sign for this month is a photo of the western wall of the building at 715 West Superior Street. This month’s ghost sign was originally read “Mundt & Hall” and later “Mundt & Associates,” for from 1980 until 2006 it was the home of the law practice of attorney David Mundt.
But even further under the “Mundt” signs there may be another faded memory of Duluth: the sign for the North Bible Society, the building’s tenant from the time it was built in 1932 until 1979, when it closed. The Northern Bible Society was the brainchild of Rev. Henry Ramseyer, who constructed the building to house his remarkable collection of Bibles and artifacts related to the history of the Bible (note the cross in the brickwork). His daughters Pauline and Esther took over the society when he died in 1946, and in 1979—unable to support the building—they donated the collection to the University of Minnesota Duluth. The Ramseyer-Northern Bible Society Museum Collection can be enjoyed by all at UMD’s library.
We’ll be presenting a story on the Northern Bible Society in a future issue. Meanwhile, visit the collection’s page on the UMD website.