The First Buildings
Construction began in 1911 on the first building—the basement was set that August. While the first building was mostly financed by the initial state investment, money for the second building—designed for the treatment of infected children—came largely largely by donation (image). By 1912 the Committee raised $10,000 from the citizens of Duluth for the construction of such a facility.
The main building would be called Hart House (image), after the man who would be the hospital’s first superintendent. Nearby the Children’s Cottage doubled as an “open air school.” This meant that its second floor walls featured large hinged sections, allowing them to be opened to the elements during the day. At the time physicians believed that the best way for a TB patient to recover was to breathe clean, cold air.
When those first patients arrived in May, they found two buildings that were not quite ready for them—while St. Louis County’s new sanatorium had plenty of fresh air, it did not have as many rooms as it had patients.
Click on “2” for the rest of the story….