The Auditorium, aka “Hemlock Garage”

This Month's Lost Landmark Photograph

The 1896 Auditorium, later the Hemlock Garage, which stood at 302 East First Street from 1896 until 1979. (Image: Zenith City)

After the collapse of the awning over the entry to the Hotel Duluth/Greysolon Plaza late last month, we thought it appropriate to make our next lost landmark the Auditorium, which once stood at 302 East First Street and served as the private parking garage for guests of the Duluth when the hotel first opened in 1925. The Auditorium—later known as the Hemlock Garage—had to be demolished after its roof collapsed due to too much snow on the roof March 6, 1979. Read more about it here.

This Month's Lost Landmark Photograph

Leave a reply

Menu