Originally published April, 2015
This month’s Ghost Sign is found on the west wall of the building at 2606 W Michigan St, built as the John Wahl Candy Company in 1915 and designed by architect John J. Wangenstein. Wahl later became the Barsness Candy Company and operated out of this building until 1942, when it moved to 1701 W Superior, the site of last month’s ghost sign. From 1944 to 1965 the building was home to a liquor wholesaler. Mielke Electric was organized in 1912 by Frank Mielke, and its original facility was at 922–924 East Superior Street. Mielke Electric moved to the Michigan Street location in in 1965 and still operates from the site. Learn more about Frank Mielke here, and catch up on past Ghost Signs here.