The 1887 Duluth National Bank

November’s Lost Landmark Photo

Image: Duluth Public Library
Image: Duluth Public Library

Luther Mendenhall organized the Duluth National Bank in 1882, and in 1887 had this grand building—designed by Oliver Traphagen—constructed at 229–231 West Superior Street in the heart of downtown Duluth. It stood until 1958, when it was demolished to make room for a parking lot; the site is now home to the Holiday Center. To read more about this building—and see more images of it inside and out—click here.

November’s Lost Landmark Photo

Leave a reply