On this day in Duluth in 1883, the Duluth Daily News lamented the fact that St. Louis County couldn’t replace its new courthouse “for a dozen years to come.” The paper was off by fourteen years, as the building would not be replaced until 1909. Duluth had no municipal facilities at the time—no courthouse, no city hall. The business of the city was conducted within rented commercial space, and the “county courthouse” was wherever judge John Carey had set up house. A bonding effort to raise funds for a both a courthouse and city hall had failed to pass. Instead, the county hired noted architect George Wirth to draw up arguably the ugliest building he ever designed. While local papers called for a grand brownstone building “that the Zenith City can point to with pride for years to come, ” the facility constructed at 611 East Second Street was an unremarkable wood frame building faced in brick described by the Daily News as “nothing especially imposing or handsome.” Almost immediately the business of the county overwhelmed the modest size of the building, and for the next twenty eight years haphazard additions expanded its footprint as the local population grew. The additions led to the building’s nickname: “The Warthouse.” So why did it take until 1909 to replace the courthouse? Find out by reading its entire history here, and that of the building that replaced it here.