Charles P. Craig, with his wife Florence, lived at 2401 East First Street in 1911. It was through his friendship with Samuel F. Snively, Duluth’s only four-term Mayor (1921 – 1937) begun at the University of Pennsylvania, that he came to Duluth in 1886 and formed a law firm with Snively. Both were involved in real estate as well as the law. Craig, however, was a true Renaissance Man with wide ranging interests that drew him into activities as widely disparate as experimental dairying (he was involved in the establishment of the Jean Duluth Experimental Farm), cattle breeding, challenging pricing policies around steel commodities produced in Pittsburgh, reorganizing the administrative branch of the Minnesota state government, establishing the Duluth Port Terminal and, most significantly championing the development of the St. Lawrence Seaway as founder and Executive Director of the St. Lawrence Tidewater Association. It was this latter activity that crowned his career and confirms his national stature. In 1922 Craig was appointed by President Coolidge for a 15-year term as the Secretary of the United States St. Lawrence Commission also known as the group responsible for the St. Lawrence Seaway, which opened the Duluth port, and others on the Great Lakes, to ocean-going vessels and international trade. At age 77, while on a trip to the Pacific coast in the interests of the waterway Craig suffered a heart attack which proved fatal.