31 East 3rd Street | Architect: Unknown | Built: 1895 | Lost: 1972
Between fifteen or nineteen members of the First Evangelical Lutheran Church broke away in 1892 to form Bethesda Norwegian Lutheran Church. It took the congregation twelve years to build its first church building, a brick Gothic Revival church that went up on the corner of Sixth Avenue East and Fifth Street. In 1945 Bethesda Norwegian merged with the very church its founders walked away from in 1892, and in 1950 its congregation moved to the new Superior Street First Lutheran Church. St. Matthew’s American Lutheran Church called the 1902 church home from 1950 to 1967, after which The Church of God of Prophecy moved in. That congregation left in 1974 and the building stood empty until its 1977 demolition, which made way for a Seven-Eleven store; that building is currently AutoMedics, an auto repair shop.