Named for American poet William Cullen Bryant, the West End’s original 1893 Bryant School was a modest, wooden structure with few rooms. It was replaced in 1895 with a two-and-a-half-story building containing sixteen classrooms. The brick building was adorned with brownstone trim, featured a double-arched brownstone entrance, and sat on a brownstone foundation. Several dormers allowed the smaller top floor to be utilized. Bryant was active in the formation of early labor unions, so it seems fitting that a West End school would carry his name: it was the stronghold of Duluth’s early labor and socialist movements. Bryant School served the West End until June, 1974; it was razed in December of that year. The lot where it stood remains empty.