Hamilton M. & Martha Peyton House
From Lost Duluth: Landmarks, Industries, Buildings, Homes, and the Neighborhoods in Which They Stood, copyright © 2011, Zenith City Press, Duluth, Minnesota. Image: Duluth Public Library.
The Peytons had their Shingle-style house built in 1893 for $16,000. Its second and third-story walls were covered with shingles while the first floor had a brownstone entrance and porte cochere with a long, sloping roof over the entrance. It also featured striking porches, balconies, and gingerbread trim. Chester Creek ran between the Peyton House and the Hartley House. After Peyton died the house stood empty — Martha Peyton had passed ten years earlier. The house was demolished in 1932 and a Seventh Day Adventist Church was built on the site. The church is now the home of Chester Creek Books and Antiques.