Colonel George C. Howe, a pioneer in Duluth real estate, built the three-story Howe Block in 1891. The Kitchi Gammi Club, which had been burned out of its home at the Grand Opera House after a fire in 1889 destroyed their facilities, leased rooms within the Howe that same year. The Howe Block’s first floor was reserved for retail space, and the Club occupied the second and third floors , staying there until its own building was constructed in 1912. The brick-and-stone Romanesque Revival building featured a round corner tower and a second-floor balcony overlooking First Street. Howe sold the building when he moved to Minneapolis in 1912. It then became the Glencoe Building, a name it carried until its demolition in 1945 to make room for a bowling alley and a commercial building.