403 East 2nd Street | Architect: McMillen & Stebbins | Built: 1887 | Lost: 1944
Another example of the Ashtabula Heights neighborhood’s many homes designed in the Queen Anne style, the Ray House stood three stories high and featured gables, ornamental wood panels, a six-sided corner tower, and patterned brick chimneys, with one of the chimneys protruding through the tower’s roof. Construction of the house cost the Rays $20,000 in 1887, which is over $470,000 in today’s dollars. Ray died in 1894. Caroline Ray lived in the house until 1900; by 1930 it had been converted to a boarding house. Demolished in 1944, its site is now occupied by Essentia Health, the former St. Mary’s Duluth Clinic.