John & Julia Williams House

Williams House. (Image: Duluth Preservation Alliance.)
2601 East 2nd Street | Architect: Frederick Perkins | Built: 1913 | Extant

When Frederick Perkins designed this exemplary brick-and-stone English Revival home for the Williams’ family he included a circular drive way that parallels the northwest face of the house’s concave curved façade. Mr. Williams was an attorney, but the house’s claim to fame is that it became known as the “Sinclair Lewis House” when the author lived there from 1944 to 1946. From 1951 to 1992 it served as a convent for Dominican nuns.

Menu