Morgan Park Hospital
From Lost Duluth: Landmarks, Industries, Buildings, Homes, and the Neighborhoods in Which They Stood, copyright © 2011, Zenith City Press, Duluth, Minnesota. Image: Duluth Public Library.
Architect: George & Arthur Dean
Built: 1916 | Lost: 1934
Like many of the homes and buildings in Morgan Park, its hospital was built of concrete mixed by the Portland Cement Company, part of the U.S. Steel complex. Overlooking the St. Louis River, the four-story building (right, date unknown) offered thirty-two patient beds on the second and third floors. Its first floor had a kitchen, laundry, and a garage for an ambulance; solariums faced the south. A planned expansion in 1917 was canceled when fire destroyed the fourth floor nurses’ dormitory. Twenty-four patients escaped the blaze. Unfortunately, a patient awaiting emergency surgery died when he finally reached St. Luke’s Hospital. The building was repaired, but expansion plans were shelved. By 1927, with improved road conditions to Duluth and its larger hospitals, Morgan Park no longer needed its own medical facility. That year it closed and was converted into an employment office for the steel plant. It was demolished in 1934. A house now occupies the site.