Parker Millinery

323 East Superior Street | Architect: F. L. Young | Built: 1900 | Extant (Vacant)

This is a two-story cream brick storefront with a rectangular plan and off-white terra cotta detailing. The first floor is largely intact and is composed of two flat brick piers with inset brick panels in a herringbone pattern, which frame a large storefront opening. Although the original windows have been replaced with new aluminum frame units and the bulkheads were covered in blue glazed certain tile, the original configuration remains, along with the two recessed single-light wood entry doors, the hexagonal tile pavement at the east entrance, and the pressed metal ceiling on the interior. The storefront is topped by a large expanse of Luxfer prisms, altered only by the insertion of a ventilation fan.

A simple terra cotta molding demarcates the base of second floor, which is more elaborately decorated than the storefront. Two pairs of 9/1 double hung wood windows pierce the façade at the second floor, altered only slightly by the addition of metal screens and storms. Each pair is framed by a large terra cotta surround with a garland molding and a simple terra cotta sill, while a terra cotta panel with a bead-and-reel molding surrounding an inset panel separates the two windows in each pair. A large, flat terra cotta string course cuts across the façade at the midpoint of the windows, and three decorative terra cotta plaques bearing a sculpted shield motif flank the window pairs. Two large terra cotta brackets covered with acanthus leaves support a projecting terra cotta cornice, all of which sits just below a low brick parapet capped by terra cotta coping tiles.

Sources:

  • Koop, Michael. “National Register of Historic Places Registration for the Duluth Commercial Historic District.” Minnesota State Office of Historic Preservation, St. Paul: 2005.
  • Menu