St. James Orphanage

St. James Orphanage. (Image: Zenith City Press)
4321 Allendale Avenue | Architect: Unknown | Built: 1910 | Extant

The Catholic Diocese operated St. James Orphanage, which opened as a four-story building made of brick with Bedford stone trim in 1910. Besides housing children, the facility offered farm and industrial training. Kindergarten for neighboring St. John’s School was taught at St. James, and in turn orphans from St. James were educated by Benedictine sisters at St. John’s. In 1971 St. James became Woodland Hills, a residential treatment center for young people.