St. Stephen’s Lutheran (aka Good Shepherd Catholic)

Good Shepherd Catholic Church, built in 1894 as St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church. (Image: Duluth Public Library)
109 South 59th Avenue West | Architect: Unknown | Built: 1894 | Lost: 1959

Organized in 1890, St. Stephen’s Lutheran German Evangelical congregation built its church in 1894 on the southwest corner of Sixty-Seventh Avenue West and Raleigh Street in West Duluth. The small, white clapboard building had a short tower but no steeple.

In 1916 the congregation of  St. Stephen’s moved on, selling their church for $200 to the Good Shepherd Roman Catholic parish, organized in 1914. Good Shepherd purchased lots at 5905 Raleigh Street and moved the church building to the new site by rolling it down Raleigh Street on logs. By 1919 the building (shown here in the 1950s) had been enlarged and remodeled with the addition of a steeple, a new entrance, and a stained-glass window. The church served until 1959 when the congregation had it demolished after building a new church left of the parsonage. The Duluth Diocese closed the newer Good Shepherd in 1997 due to “a shortage of priests.” That church has been home to the Raleigh-Edison Charter School since 1999.