Whiteman House

The Alanzo and Julia Whiteman House at 27th Avenue West and London Road. (Image: Duluth Public Library.)
2732 London Road | Architect: Oliver G. Traphagen | Built: 1890 | Lost: 1894

Built on a promontory on the Lake Superior shore, the Whiteman house was covered with shingles, had a stone foundation and piers for the porte cochere, and prominent gables so common in Shingle-style homes. The Whiteman house was vacant by 1894 and burned on December 24 of that year, a total loss. Another house occupies the site. Alonzo Whiteman came to Duluth as a young man and served in the Minnesota Legislature but later, after losing his fortune, skipped town (and his wife) and turned to forging and confidence schemes.

 

 

Menu