William C. & Amelia Sherwood House

Sherwood House. (Image: Duluth Public Library.)
1125 East Superior Street | Architect: Oliver G. Traphagen | Built: 1886 | Lost: 1956

Wisconsin native William Sherwood arrived in Duluth in 1880 when he was twenty-five years old and began to work in real estate and insurance. The Sherwoods lived in their Superior Street home from 1886 to 1892, after which they moved to another Traphagen-designed house on Woodland Avenue in Hunter’s Park. Sherwood died in 1933, Amelia a year later.

A Mansard roof usually indicates a Second Empire-style house, but this Oliver Traphagen creation includes Queen Anne characteristics such as patterned shingles and iron cresting on the roof and a round corner tower with balconies.

Other families lived in the house after the Sherwoods; it eventually became a boarding house before being demolished in 1956. The lot has since held a gas station, a pizza parlor, and last an office building, demolished in 2011 along with the Loeb House and two historic Traphagen-designed duplexes to make room for a new Walgreens Pharmacy. The Walgreens replaced an existing Walgreens, built on the site that once held the Hartley House, less than two blocks away.

Menu