William & Margrette Cole House

Cole House. (Image: Duluth Preservation Alliance.)
2204 East 1st Street | Architects: Frederick German & A. Werner Lignell | Built: 1908 | Extant

Built with a matching carriage house, the Cole home is considered a Tudor, although it contains a mix of Craftsman and Prairie Style elements. Cole came to Duluth with his first wife from Tower, Minnesota, where he worked for the Minnesota Iron Company. In Duluth he engaged in diamond drill contract work before organizing the Duluth Cold Storage Company. He built the house for Margrette, who he married three years after his first wife’s death.

Menu