December 13, 1892: Final meeting of the City of Lakeside

On this Day in what would soon become part of Duluth in 1892, the trustees of the City of Lakeside met for the last time, as the community was set to officially become the Duluth neighborhoods of Lakeside and Lester Park on January 1, 1893. In the 1880s, pioneer William Sargent and a few friends organized the Lakeside Land Company which turned the town of New London into Lakeside and created Lester Park. In 1889 the entire area became the Village of Lakeside. More than a few of Lakeside’s Protestant leaders were involved in the growing Prohibition movement, and when it became a city in 1892, Lakeside’s charter prohibited the sale or manufacture of alcohol within its borders. So when Lakeside became part of Duluth, the city had to make a promise to the village, and it did so with this piece of state legislation: “The common council of the city of Duluth is hereby prohibited from ever granting any license to sell or dispose of any wines, spirituous or malt liquors within the limits of the territory hereby constituted as the city of Lakeside, after the same shall have been annexed to the said city of Duluth in accordance with the provisions of this act.” It took repeated attempts to repeal the ban on alcohol in Lakeside and Lester Park, including a 2008 proposal that failed by a single vote, but you can now purchase alcohol in Duluth’s easternmost neighborhoods. Read a history of the community here, and about the battle over its alcohol ban here.

The 1892 Lester Park School, built the same year Lakeside and Lester Park decided to join the city of Duluth. (Image: University of Minnesota Duluth Kathryn A. Martin Library Archives and Special Collections)

 

Subscribe to This Day in Duluth!