Originally Published April 2013
This month Jim Davis brings us 504 West 2nd Street, where William Spalding and his wife Electra built a grand Queen Anne home in 1888. The house stood there for just twenty years before it was dismantled in 1908 to make room for the new St. Louis County Courthouse. The exact placement of the house is difficult to pinpoint today, as the courthouse’s placement forced 2nd Street to curve around it. Most of the Spalding House was moved to 2391 Woodland Avenue, later home to a rest home called The Birches.