In the 1860s the townships adjacent to Minnesota Point had gone from near extinction to boomtowns. On March 6, 1870, Duluth became a city, at the same time annexing Fond du Lac, Rice’s Point, Fremont, Portland, and Endion. It stretched from Twenty-First Avenue East to Fortieth Avenue West, from the top of the hillside to the end of Minnesota Point—plus all of Fond du Lac. That year Duluth’s population reached 3,130.
Duluth’s booming population was about sixty percent foreign-born laborers. The other forty percent was American-born, mostly professionals and businessmen from New England, Maryland, Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin. Many of the original pioneers had connections in Ohio, and Jay Cooke’s agents hailed from Philadelphia. Most of these were of British or German ancestry and nearly all practiced some Protestant religion: Methodists, Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Congregationalists, and even a few Baptists.
Duluth’s foreign-born majority came for the most part from western and northern Europe. Half of them were Scandinavian (Swedes, Norwegians, and Danes), the rest primarily Irish, German Catholics, and Canadians (many of French heritage). Over one hundred were English or Scottish, followed by a handful of Swiss, French, Luxemburgers, Belgians, and one Australian. Austrians Bernard and Nettie Silberstein were two of Duluth’s first four immigrants of Jewish descent.
The West End would welcome most of Duluth’s immigrants for the next forty years, although many would also begin to populate the ram-shackle “No Man’s Land” in what is today’s Canal Park Business District. Upon first arrival, many of these people found temporary housing in the Immigrant Houses established by Northern Pacific Railroad.
All the promise of Duluth anticipated by early pioneers was finally starting to materialize. In 1871 the initial cut of the Duluth Ship Canal—which would allow the land west of the point to develop into the world’s largest inland port—was completed. With a railroad, a canal, and a safe port, Duluth sat poised to become a major center of commerce in the United States. Giant warehouses began popping up along the waterfront and, now that the canal had cleared the way, on Rice’s Point.
In the spring of 1873 came the loss of an entire township in a single day. A large storm had hit the region, and the St. Louis River swelled. The two-year-old canal had shifted currents in the bay, and much of the loose vegetation that made up Fremont broke loose and floated out through the canal. This included a large portion of Fremont Island, 1,200 feet long by 400 feet wide when platted. Fremont township was no more.
The loss of Fremont was of little consequence compared to what happened that September: Jay Cooke ran out of money, and all of his businesses failed. This sent the entire nation into a depression known as the Panic of 1873; no community was hit as hard as Duluth. With no money, much of the business in the Zenith City came to a screeching halt and building stopped. The population dropped, and debts mounted. By 1877 Duluth had lost its city charter. Endion, Portland, North Duluth, Duluth, Middleton, Rice’s Point, and Fond du Lac all reverted to independent townships. While records are unclear, Middleton’s border may have moved north to the Canal at this time.