220 West Superior Street | Traphagen & Fitzpatrick | b. 1893
Millie Bunnell, who established the Duluth Herald in 1883, commissioned Traphagen & Fitzpatrick to design this three-story Neoclassical-style building, faced with tan brick with limestone features, when his paper was ten years old. In 1929 the Herald purchased the Duluth News Tribune, and both were purchased by Ridder Publications in 1936. The papers merged as the Duluth News Tribune & Herald in 1922, and in 1988 the name was shortened to Duluth News Tribune.
The Herald moved out in 1901, and since then the building was home to a variety of businesses. The Superior Street-level was the home of several cafes over the years, most notably Mr. Nick’s Restaurant—which specialized in “charburgers”—from 1970 to 2002. Since then a number of restaurants (including a revived Mr. Nick’s) have tried to make a go of it in that location. R. T. Quinlan’s bar has been the building’s Michigan Street-level tenant since 1986; before that, it was the Mirror Lounge.