206–214 East Superior Street | Architect: Unknown | b. 1915
This building was first constructed in 1915 as the Interstate Auto Company. By 1930 it was home to Duluth’s REO Speedwagon dealership (206–208), Kent Motors (210–212), and J. M. Michel Tires (214). Ten years later Lange Motors, Fox Auto Supply, and the Blue & White Hamburger Shop occupied the building. Lang was still there in 1950 at 206–212 while Kewpies Restaurant occupied 214. The 1960 Duluth Directory shows that Lange had been replaced by the Minnesota State Motor Vehicle Registration Office and Kewpies by the Kubbard restaurant. In 1970 the Nite Owl Café was operating out of 214 while the rest of the building sat vacant. By 1980 Duluth Auction had moved into 206–208, the Muffler Clinic was at 210–212, and the Sunnyside Café had replaced the Nite Owl. In 1987 Carlson Used Book & Records took over the entire building. Carlson closed in 2003, replaced by Big Lake Books, which in turn was replaced by Boardwalk Book. The building has been vacant since Big Lake closed. It underwent a renovation in 2015 and was still vacant as of March 2017.