508 E. Superior Street | Architect: Anthony Puck | Built: 1914 | Extant
When he opened the Brewery Saloon in 1915, Fitger’s president August Fitger commissioned John Frey and Feodor Von Luerzer to paint murals of his boyhood home in Delmenhorst, Germany, on the walls; his partner Percy Anneke added a lion plaque imported from Pompeii, Italy. Brewery Saloon bartender Joseph S. Wisocki took over the operation before Prohibition struck in 1918. When the country went dry the brewery turned to making candy, distributing cigars, and producing non-alcoholic beverages. In 1919 Fitger’s introduced an alcohol-free drink called “Pickwick.” It became so popular (alone and as a mixer) that patrons began referring to the saloon itself as “The Pickwick.” Until 2010 it was owned and operated by Wisocki’s grandsons. Today its façade looks very different from the original, but new owners hove brought back some of the interior’s original look.