225-231 West First Street | Architect: John J. Wangenstein and William Hunt | 1901-1902, 1909 | Extant
When the Wolvin Building first went up in 1902, it was six stories high — another three were added in 1909, as shown in the postcard above. Built by Captain August B. Wolvin, the building’s primary tenants included subsidiary companies of U.S. Steel and the Duluth, Missabe & Northern Railroad. Ironically, Wolvin and others had also acquired and modernized the West Duluth Blast Furnace Company, turning it into a profitable operation that competed with its tenant, U.S. Steel in Morgan Park. By the 1970s the building’s name had changed to the Missabe Building.