George Sargent was born in Boston in 1825. After he married Mary Perin he served as a Union Army general in the Civil War and was later appointed federal surveyor for Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Sargent left Iowa for Duluth in 1869 to work as Jay Cooke’s financial agent and is credited as being the prime driving force behind Duluth’s early commercial success. He opened Duluth’s first bank on Superior Street, oversaw the construction of Duluth’s first hotels (Clark House and Bay View House), and helped finance St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Duluth Township’s first church. He and Mary also had a summer home on Minnesota Point, later the property of their son William. Sargent Creek, between Gary-New Duluth and Fond du Lac, is named for him.
According to historian Walter Van Brunt, Sargent also “sustained close relations with the Jay Cooke banking house of Philadelphia, and during the years 1871 and 1872 went abroad three or four times, selling bonds the proceeds from which were to finance the Northern Pacific Railway for this banking company. Sargent was a man of high attainments, a discriminating and thoughtful reader and a close observer of men and events. He was an authority on matters of finance, and held a high position in the circles in which he moved.”
General Sargent died in 1875 in Germany where he had gone for his health. Mary Sargent died in 1896.