Former Duluth News Tribune columnist and journalist Jim Heffernan continues his musings while in retirement on his blog (http://www.jimheffernan.org) and as a monthly columnist with Duluth~Superior Magazine. A collection of Heffernan’s classic newspaper columns in his book, Cooler Near the Lake, depicts his wry humor, interesting life perspectives and as a chronicler of Duluth history.
- The Notorious Madam Gain: Queen of Duluth’s Underworld
- Duluth’s Woodland Neighborhood: Shaped by Streetcars
- Grand Old Building: The 1909 St. Louis County Courthouse
- Nopeming: A Healing Place Out in the Woods
- February’s Lost Landmark: the Sebenius House
- Forgotten Duluthian Alexander Miles
- Sam Snively: Duluth’s Grand Old Dad
- Free Sellwood-Mershon House Tour
- February 22, 1922: Blizzard hits Duluth
- Ask the Historian: What was on that empty lot?
- Fond du Lac was once a mecca for winter activity