Originally published April, 2015
Although students graduated from high school in Duluth as early as 1879 (Duluth’s first two graduates were girls), the first building specifically constructed for use as a high school went up in 1886 and opened in January 1887 on the southeast corner of First Avenue East and Third Street. Prior to that, high school students were taught among elementary students in a wooden schoolhouse at the southeast corner of Lake Avenue and Third Street. it was torn down in 1976. Read a much more complete history of this lost landmark here.