Jim Davis’s Past & Present Pic for October takes us way back to 1856, when Robert Jefferson—one of the founders of Duluth Township—built himself a home that doubled as a boarding house at 430 Lake Avenue South. Jefferson left Duluth Township to serve in the Civil War, but died before seeing any action. His house stood until about 1920 and served as the first home of the St. Louis County District Court and Duluth’s first newspaper, the Minnesotian. After 1920 the house’s location was part of a scrap metal yard and is now part of the Canal Park Business District’s largest parking lot. Read more about the Jefferson House here. Read more about Robert Jefferson and his brother, Ernest, for whom Duluth’s Jefferson Street is named, here.