A lot has changed along Garfield Avenue since the 1890s—and up the hillside as well, as witnessed by this photo. The original photographer’s perspective is now blocked by an overgrowth of vegetation, so the buildings along Superior Street are hidden. That’s the Clarendon Hotel on the “southeast” street corner with the turret-like tower, built in 1887 by Dr. Samuel Walbank and demolished in 1942. The railroad roundhouse was built in the 1890s by the Northern Pacific Railroad and destroyed in the 1970s. Note the upper-right section of the original image: that scattering of people are baseball players in the middle of a game; that location hosted many baseball games until the construction of Athletic Park in 1903. Only two of the buildings seen along Superior Street in the upper photo remain today—the two complete buildings furthest to the right side of the image on the lower side of the street. Today they are home to Duluth Pack, and have been for some time. This month’s image is a personal subject for photographer Jim Davis: his great-great-grandfather Charles Atol (originally Kalale Ettoll) owned the grocery store east of the Clarendon and the duplex behind it. He later owned the Kandy Kitchen located at 19th Avenue West and Superior Street.