Originally published May 2014.
While faded and neglected, June’s Ghost Sign still identifies ore Dock #5, Duluth’s first steel ore dock (and the largest in the world for a year or two) built in 1914 by the Duluth, Missabe & Northern Railway. A total of six ore docks were built in Duluth, the first four of wood. By 1938, only steel docks #5 and #6 remained standing—and stand to this day. Read more about Duluth’s ore docks here.