W. A. Scott opened Duluth’s Universal Flour at the foot of South Twelfth Avenue West in 1900. Within a few years—thanks to industry wide consolidation—it was the only flour mill in Duluth (there were many more in Superior). Universal made flour in the Zenith City until 1957; the building was razed the following year. Superior’s Standard Milling, the Twin Ports last operating flour mill, held on until 1970. Read a history of flour milling in Duluth in this excerpt from Lost Duluth. The flour milling business was inextricably tied to the grain trade; read our November feature, Duluth’s Grainy Memory, also by “Ghost Sign” photographer Dan Turner.