Originally published December 2013
Guilford and Caroline Hartley built the house pictured at top, designed by Oliver Traphagen, in 1889. It stood at 1305 East Superior Street—the “northeast” corner of Superior Street and 13th Avenue East—which at the time was the eastern terminus of the Duluth Street railway Company’s Superior Street Line: Hartley was one of the railway company’s owners. According to one story, the Hartley family had the home demolished in 1954 because they did not want to see it converted into a boarding house. For many years the lot on which the Hartley House stood was home to a Walgreen’s drugstore and its parking lot. Today an Ace Hardware operates out of the old Walgreen’s building. Read more about the Hartley House and Guilford Hartley in the Zenith City History Archive, and catch up on all of Jim Davis’s Past & Present Pic’s here.