Duluth’s first began building an ore dock in 1884, but after Charlemagne Tower decided to build his railroad from the Vermilion Range to Agate Bay (Two Harbors), the construction halted. It wasn’t until 1893, with the opening of the Mesabi Range, that the first ore dock in Duluth would be operational. By 1918 Duluth had built six ore docks; by 1938 only docks five and six remained. Both still stands, but but #5 is not used. Read a history of Duluth’s ore docks here.