This story first posted September 17, 2013
Duluth’s Old Main began its life in 1902 as the Duluth Normal School. It later became the Duluth Teacher’s College and then the University of Minnesota Duluth. UMD’s upper campus was developed in the 1950s. Old Main served as the campus theater and held some offices as well. It closed in 1985 and was destroyed in an arson fire in 1993. Read a more complete history of Old Main here.