On this day across the bay in 1905, the steamer Superior, captained by Donald Gillis, arrived for the first time in the city she was named for. She steamed to Elevator K at Superior’s East End and took on a partial load of grain; the next day the rest of the vessel was loaded with freight. The ship, built by Ecorse, Michigan’s Great Lakes Engineering Company for the Western transit Company of Buffalo, New York, was launched at Detroit on June 5, christened by Miss Zoa Grace of Duluth. The steel-hulled freighter was 381 feet long and 50 feet wide with a gross tonnage of 4,554 pounds. She changed hands a few times, and in 1926 was renamed the Ralph Budd. Thirty years later her name changed again, this time to the L. A. McCorquedale. By 1964 she was no longer steaming, serving as a grain storage facility in Toronto. In 1966 she was towed to Hamilton, Ontario, and dismantled for scrap iron. Read about her arrival in her namesake city here: SteamerSuperior_9.7.1905_DNT.