On this day in Duluth in 1899, Charles Comiskey—then manager of the St. Paul Saints baseball team—left Duluth after signing two local boys to pitch and catch for his squad. Pitcher Roy Peterson and a catcher named Ritter (sportswriters of the time were notorious for omitting first names, as you will see) were to report right away. Comiskey also had his eye on Duluth ballplayers named Shephard (shortstop) and Lambert (center field) and a Superiorite named Hart. Comiskey had left the majors in 1894 and purchased a Western League team in Sioux City, Iowa, which he moved to St. Paul and eventually named the Saints. In 1900 Comiskey moved the team to the Chicago’s South Side and changed its name to the White Stockings. In 1910 Comiskey had Zachary Taylor Davis design a ball park, which the owner named for himself, which served as the White Sox home until 1990. A new Comiskey Park, built across from the original in 1991, was renamed U.S. Cellular Field in 2003.
← August 12, 1896: Third drowning in two daysAugust 14, 1962: Duluth Mayor E. Clifford Mork dies in office →