On this day in Duluth in 1889 the Spalding Hotel at the southeast corner of Fifth Avenue West and Superiors Street opened for the first time. Named for investor William W. Spalding, the hotel was the largest in Duluth when it opened. The following day the Duluth Evening Herald made several pronouncements: “Hotel unequaled in all its appointments in all the land;” “The building is a noble piece of architecture,” and “A magnificent pile of brick, iron and stone towering eight stories above the street level.” The reporter was counting stories above Michigan Street; on Superior Street, it stood seven stories high. Guests for the grand opening included A. M. Miller, who would build the Lyceum Theatre directly across the street. Also on hand were Bernard and Nettie Silberstein, William Sargent, former mayor Clinton Markell and his daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Luther Mendenhall, Hamilton and Martha Peyton, and Mayor Sutphin. Read more about the Spalding Hotel here.