On this day in Duluth in 1872 the Duluth Tribune became a daily, increasing its pressure on its weekly competitor, Dr. Thomas Foster’s Duluth Minnesotian. Duluth was booming, with no limits in site, and editor R. C. Mitchell could sell enough advertisements to publish every day of the week. Meanwhile, Duluth’s leaders were tired of Mitchell’s perspective and recruited another editor to come to Duluth (they had lured Mitchell from Superior three years earlier because of their distaste for Foster). Dr. Robert D’Unger of Maryland came to Duluth and established the Duluth Herald. Duluth now had three newspapers, but it wouldn’t last. The next year the Panic of 1873 would throw the nation into depression, and Duluth’s population was soon decimated. The Herald folded, the Minnesotian changed hands, and the Tribune held on as a weekly publication. That same year Minnesotian editor Thomas H. Pressnell (who had purchased the newspaper from Dr. Thomas Foster’s sons) joined with M. C. Russell, former publisher of the Brainerd Tribune, to create the Minnesotian-Herald. In 1878 Mitchell bought out his competitors, but a new one popped up: W. S. Woodbridge’s Weekly Lake Superior News. The News became a daily in 1881 and in 1892 it joined with the Tribune to become the Duluth News Tribune. The “Herald” name was revived in 1883 by Millie Brunnel, later renamed the Duluth Evening Herald. The Duluth News Tribune and Duluth Evening Herald joined forces in 1929. The newspapers become one in 1982 as the Duluth News-Tribune & Herald. In 1988 the “& Herald” was dropped, and the hyphen was later removed from News-Tribune.