This Day in Duluth Archive

Use our search function to find “This Day” entries for a specific day of the year. Spell out the month and include a comma after the date numeral, do not include a year, and place it all within quotation marks, like this: “May 1,”.

September 26, 2006: Duluth’s historic foghorn dismantled

On this day in Duluth in 2006,  members of Duluth’s TOOT (“ReTurn Our Old Tone”), who had purchased Duluth’s old fog horn, dismantled the horn. Duluth had relied on a fog horn from 1885 to until the 1970s—some folks loved it, others hated it. The 1885 signal was updated with steam-powered whistles in 1901, locomotive…

Read More

September 24, 1961: Death of Blind Golfer Clinton Russell

On this day in Duluth in 1961, Duluth businessman Clinton Russell, known for his ability to play golf after becoming blind, died in Duluth. Russell was born in Duluth on October 8, 1895. His father, Newell Russell, was the co-founder of Duluth’s Bridgeman-Russell creamery. Clinton Russell attended public elementary schools in Duluth and Duluth Central…

Read More

September 23, 1915: Motion picture “Lou” begins filming in Duluth

On this day in Duluth in 1915, the motion picture “Lou” begins filming in Duluth in front of the A. P. Cook house on Boulevard Drive (Skyline Parkway). Called a “photo-play,” the film was sponsored buy the Duluth News Tribune and written by Rudolph S. Shogran, who also played the male lead. The Female lead—and…

Read More

September 22, 1909: Dolly Dimples Eludes Duluthians

On this day in Duluth in 1909, Miss Dolly Dimples, who had eluded capture by citizens throughout the nation, kept herself hidden in Duluth despite announcing where she would be. What was Dimples wanted for? Two hundred dollars worth of gold. “Dolly Dimples” was the pseudonym of a woman hired by the American Traveller car…

Read More

September 21, 1922: The opening of West Duluth’s “White Way”

On this day in Duluth in 1922, West Duluth’s “White Way” opened to great fanfare. A “white way” was a term used to describe streets illuminated by streetlights, taken from New York City’s Broadway Avenue, one of the first illuminated streets in the nation and nicknamed the “Great White Way.” (Superior Street in downtown Duluth…

Read More

September 20, 1883: Grand opening of Duluth’s Grand Opera House

On this day in Duluth in 1883, Duluth’s Grand Opera House opened at 333 West Superior Street. Designed by George Wirth and financed by noted pioneers Roger Munger and Clinton Markell. Perhaps the most architecturally adorned building that ever graced Duluth, the Grand Opera House stood four stories tall and was capped with a Mansard…

Read More

September 19, 1881: Construction Begins on the Lake Superior Brewery

On this day in Duluth in 1881, construction began on Michael Fink’s Lake Superior Brewery on the East 600 block of Superior Street. Fink had purchased the brewery business in 1875 from Nicholas Decker, who had purchased it from Sidney Luce ten years earlier—Luce had financed the brewery in 1857, with J. Gottlieb Busch doing…

Read More

September 18, 1918: Finnish pacifist abducted, tarred and feathered, and hung

On this day in Duluth 1918, Finnish immigrant Olli Kinkkonen, a dockworker and logger, was tarred and feathered in Congdon Park—and then disappeared. Earlier that day Kinkkonen and five others had renounced their U.S. citizenship because they did not want to fight for the U.S.—nor anyone else—in the war in Europe. A group calling themselves…

Read More

September 17, 1925: Completion of the Lester River Bridge

On this day in Duluth in 1925, work was completed on the Lester River Bridge on London Road over, naturally, the Lester River, where London Road turns into Congdon Boulevard (and both roads serve as part of Highway 61). Officially named “Bridge 5772,” the bridge’s construction began in 1924 by C. R. McLean, hired by…

Read More