For September, Past & Present photographer Jim Davis brings us back to 1912 and the “northeast” corner of 20th Avenue West, where the Modern Woodmens Hall stood for 92 years. The Woodmen were a fraternal life insurance society, but their hall was also used for dances and other West End gatherings. The building on the site today is the Duluth branch of Sid Harvey Inc., wholesale suppliers of refrigeration, air conditioning. and heating equipment—but by looking closely at the windshields of the automobiles pictured, its parking lot is apparently also doubling as a used car lot. Read the history of the hall here and Jim Heffernan’s memories of attending dances there during the second half of the 20th century here.