Ward Ames

Ward Ames. (Image: Duluth Public Library)

Ward Ames, Jr. was vice president of the Ames-Brooks Co., the grain firm his father Ward Ames Sr. founded, had this house built in 1908, not far from the family home he grew up in. The Ames family moved to Duluth in 1886 from Oswego, New York, when the younger Ames was just 12 years of age. In 1900 they were living at 205 18th Avenue East, and the household included the mother, Clara, Ward Sr., his wife Emily, the 27-year-old Ames, Jr., and two servants. Later Ames, Jr. also was a partner in the Barnes-Ames Co., grain brokers and export firm, founded together with Julius Barnes, a long-time school friend who was born on the same day. In addition Ames, Jr. was associated with the McDougall-Duluth Company and was a founder of the McDougall-Duluth Shipyards. The Ames family had a long history of charitable activities in Duluth, especially in supporting the YMCA. In 1914 Ward Jr. donated $80,000 toward a new YMCA building in memory of his father. By 1912 Ames had built his second home at 1618 Vermilion Road.

Ward Ames, Jr., vice president of Ames-Brooks Co., the grain firm his father Ward Ames Sr. founded, chose to build in 1908 on East Second Street as well, not far from his family home. The Ames family moved to Duluth in 1886 from Otswego, New York, when the younger Ames was just 12 years of age. In 1900 they were living at 205 18th Avenue East, and the household included the mother, Clara, Ward Sr., his wife Emily, the 27-year-old Ames, Jr., and two servants. Later Ames, Jr. also was a partner in the Barnes-Ames Co., grain brokers and export firm, founded together with Julius Barnes, a long-time school friend who was born on the same day. In addition Ames, Jr. was associated with the McDougall-Duluth Company and was a founder of the McDougall-Duluth Shipyards. The Ames family had a long history of charitable activities in Duluth, especially in supporting the YMCA. In 1914 Ward Jr. donated $80,000 toward a new YMCA building in memory of his father. By 1912 Ames had built his second home at 1618 Vermilion Road.

From Intensive Survey of Historic Resources in Duluth’s East End (Part 1), prepared by Jill Larson of Larson & Associates for the Duluth Heritage Preservation Commission, August 2007. The entire document is on file at the Duluth Public Library.

Sources:

  • Larson, Jill. Intensive Survey of Historic Resources in Duluth’s East End (Part 1). City of Duluth, Duluth Heritage Preservation Commission, Duluth, Minn.: August 2007.
  • Menu