William Baillie is known to have designed only one residence in the East End, (in partnership with John J. Wangenstein from 1892 until his death): the Charles and Mary Britts House at 2201 East Superior Street. This was due to his untimely death; his obituary documents the tragic circumstances:
W.E. Baillie Dead. Consumption Took Him Off After a Long Illness.
William E. Baillie died at 11:30 o’clock this forenoon at his residence, 321 East Third street. The immediate cause of his death was consumption, which was brought on by rheumatism. Mr. Baillee (sic) had been an invalid for about three years, and his death had been anticipated for some time. The funeral will probably take place Sunday, and will probably be in charge of the Masons, of which order he was a member. He was also a member of the First Baptist church. Deceased came to Duluth from Chicago in 1888, entering the office of O. G. Traphagen, where he was employed as chief draughtsman until 1892. In that year he became the junior member of the firm of Wangenstein & Baillee. Ill-health compelled his withdrawal from business, and he had not been identified with the firm for some time before his death. Mr. Baillee was 35 years old. He leaves a wife and two children.