Albert H. Comstock for a quarter of a century has been actively identified with a great Duluth business, which under the title Marshall-Wells Company has a commercial prestige extending all over the northwest and Canada as wholesalers, manufacturers and importers of machinery, hardware and a large variety of other essential equipment and supplies.
Mr. Comstock was born at Pontiac, Oakland County, Michigan, February 22, 1847, a son of Elkanah B. and Eliza (Holden) Comstock.
His father was a native of Connecticut and his mother of central New York. Elkanah Comstock spent some of his early years selling goods in Michigan and California, but for many years was a well known banker at Pontiac, Michigan, where he died in 1889. He was one of the early members of the Republican party which was first organized in Michigan and a Presbyterian in religious affiliations. In the family of four sons and one daughter Albert was the fourth in age, and he and a brother are now the only survivors.
The public schools of Michigan afforded him his early preparation for life, and as a boy he was employed in his father’s bank, gaining a thorough business and financial training. Later he entered a bank at Saginaw, Michigan, as assistant cashier until elected cashier.
The senior partner of Marshall-Wells Company, A. M. Marshall, was also a former Saginaw business man and citizen, and when Mr. Comstock came to Duluth January 1, 1895, it was to engage in the wholesale hardware business with Mr. Marshall. Mr. Comstock is now first vice president and a director of the Marshall-Wells Company. A. M. Marshall is now chairman of the board, while Seth Marshall is president and other officers besides Mr. Comstock are W. P. Mars and J. W. Walker, vice presidents; H. A. Sedgwick, treasurer; W. F. Arndt and W. H. McVay, assistant treasurers; C. M. Rice, secretary, and C. P. Grady, assistant secretary. A more complete story of this great Duluth business is told on other pages.
Mr. Comstock attends the Episcopal Church and is a member of the Republican party. January 25, 1875, he married Miss Elizabeth Hadley, of Pontiac, Michigan. Their only child, Marguerite, is the wife of Charles W. Andrews of Duluth.